Sunday, September 28, 2014

* Amendment Number One at Yale


William F. Buckley, Jr.
as editor of the Yale Daily News
William F. Buckley, Jr.,
founder and editor of The National Review

A gracious acknowledgement
my dedication of Holy Smoke:
"To William F. Buckley, Jr.,
whose writings alerted me that man is God at Yale."
 I had written him that I hoped the dedication and prose would please him even if the ideas did not; hence, his reply.
 

 
 
The William F. Buckley, Jr. Foundation at Yale generated a bit of controversy this year by sponsoring a speaker whose invitation to speak at Brandeis had been withdrawn last year due to her controversial opinions about Islam. (Link above). 
 
This reminds me that I proposed in this blog months ago that the Buckley Foundation perform just this function of providing a safe-harbor for free speech  denied at other academic institutions (think Condoleeza Rice). 
 
I'm glad they took my suggestion, whether they knew it or not.
 
Mr. Buckley very generously encouraged my own use of the First Amendment at Yale in (link) Holy Smoke, 33 years ago (see below).

No comments: